POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS (2021)
National Research Foundation Programme in Geopolitics and the Arts of Africa. Fine Art Department, Rhodes University, Makhanda, South Africa
Suitable candidates are invited to apply for available Postdoctoral Fellowships hosted by the National Research Foundation SARChI Chair in Geopolitics and the Arts of Africa at Rhodes University, South Africa. The successful Postdoctoral Fellows will be active participants in the NRF research team that is made up of the Research Chair (Prof Ruth Simbao), Research Associates, Postgraduate Students and Affiliated Artists.
Each fellowship is worth R200 000 per annum (tax exempt), and the duration is 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022.
GOALS OF THE RESEARCH PROGRAMME
- Produce high quality research outputs
- Foster a culture of academic sharing and cooperation by working on related research themes
- Develop research capacity through a co-operative research culture
- Build collaborations with scholars and artists across the African continent and within the Global South
- RESEARCH THEMES (2021-2025)
- Geopolitical Intimacies: Ways of Practicing as Ways of Knowing
- Artivism, Social Justice and Communal Agency Beyond African States
- Grounding, Reducing, Decelerating: Art, Environments and Materialities
- Rising Souths: Reorientating Art’s Futures
- SUMMARY OF FELLOWSHIP CRITERIA
- Candidates must have obtained their PhD in a relevant discipline within the last five years
- Research needs to connect meaningfully to at least one of the Research Themes
- Candidates must be of exceptional merit as evidenced by the quality of their research
- Preference will be given to candidates based on the African continent and in the Global South
- Candidates need to demonstrate an ability to submit for publication at least two new articles based on original research in relevant accredited journals during the Fellowship
CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD
- Successful candidates must reside in Makhanda, South Africa, for the full duration of the Fellowship
- The Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with supplementary funding or salary
- The University expects that all publications, creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will bear appropriate acknowledgement with full affiliation to Rhodes University and the NRF/DSI Research Chair in Geopolitics and the Arts of Africa
- The University reserves the right to request the refund of any fellowship paid to the Fellow should the Fellow terminate her or his contract prior to its completion
- APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
Please email a brief Expression of Interest to Charmaine Mostert (email@example.com) in order to request an Application Form and a synopsis of the Research Themes. In the Expression of Interest include 1) your discipline and area of research, 2) the date your PhD was awarded (date on the certificate), 3) the institution that awarded the degree, and 4) your current institutional affiliation (if applicable).
Submit the completed Application Form and accompanying documents listed on the form to Charmaine Mostert (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 15, 2021.
- If you have any questions, please contact Charmaine Mostert.
Call for Applications
BIGSAS-Scholarships for Female African Scholars based on the Continent
DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme 2021
The Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies, BIGSAS, invites outstanding female African scholars based on the continent to join an international community of early career researchers working in the field of African Studies. BIGSAS provides a centre for creative and innovative doctoral training based on the inter- and multi-disciplinary research environment of the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence at the University of Bayreuth.
In 2021, BIGSAS is awarding two scholarships within the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). For these, BIGSAS will nominate candidates who have successfully passed the application procedure. The final selection will be made by the DAAD. The scholarship periods begin in October 2021 at the earliest (including a German language course starting in summer 2021, if applicable). The scholarships are awarded for a total scholarship period of up to four years.
Applicants must have a very good Master’s or equivalent degree. The last Master’s or equivalent degree must have been obtained within the last six years at the time of nomination by BIGSAS. The application must be accompanied by two reports (letters of recommendation) from teaching faculty members at the home universities. Please use the DAAD template or make sure that the reports cover the points listed in the DAAD template (https://www2.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/recommendation.pdf).
Applicants should not have been resident in Germany for more than fifteen months at the time of nomination. While applications may be submitted in German, English or French, do please note that the working language of BIGSAS is English.
The application deadline is 24 January 2021.
For more information on your application please refer to: